Published On: Sun, Feb 7th, 2021

Hasselblad X1D II 50C: out of a studio and into a streets

We crawled into an deserted propagandize bus, trespassed by decayed hallways, dodged passing thunderstorms and wandered by dull streets of Chinatown late into a evening. For dual summery weeks, we couldn’t have been happier.

New York City was in lockdown. I’d been quarantined in my dinky apartment, sad and restless. we was concerned to do something creative. Thankfully, a Hasselblad X1D II 50C arrived for review, along with capitulation from a studio heads for socially-distanced, outside shoots.

Taking cinema of a paltry (flowers, buildings, and such) would’ve been a harm to a $10,000 camera kit, so instead, my friends and we collaborated on a fun, small project: we shot portraits desirous by a favorite films.

Hasselblad X1D II shotlist

Image Credits: Veanne Cao

Equipped with masks and a bottle of palm sanitizer, we put a X1D II 50C and 80mm F/1.9 lens (ideal for close-ups though indeed carrying to be tighten up) by a paces in some of NYC’s reduction informed backdrops.

Before we get into any difficulty for a final print – Alex and Jason are veteran stuntmen and that’s a rubber column gun. They were reenacting a penultimate stage from Infernal Affairs – a shining square of Hong Kong cinema (much softened than a Scorsese remake).

While a camera is somewhat some-more receptive in terms of cost and palliate of use with a few upgrades (larger, some-more manageable back screen, a cleaned-up menu, tethering capabilities, faster startup time and shiver release), a X1D II is radically a same as a predecessor. So we skipped a customary review. Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad X1D II 50C

Image Credits: Veanne Cao

What it is, what it isn’t

The many common censure about a X1D was a delayed autofocus, delayed shiver recover and brief battery life. The X1D II softened on these features, yet not by much. Rather than saying a loiter as a hindrance, we was forced to delayed down and re-wire my mind for a some-more courteous sharpened character (a pleasing side effect).

As we mentioned in my X1D review, Apple and other smartphone manufacturers have done sharpened good cinema effortless. As such, a accessibility has combined a enlightenment of excessively capturing bland banalities. You fire distant some-more than you’ll ever need. It’s something I’m guilty of. Pretty certain 90% of a images on my iPhone camera hurl are throwaways. (The other 10% are of my dog and he’s spectacularly photogenic.)

The X1D II, however, is not an easy camera. It’s frustrating during times. If you’re a beginner, we might have to learn a fundamentals (ISO, f-stops, when to click a shutter), though a boon is value it. There’s an strenuous clarity of benefit when we get that one shot. And during 50 megapixels, it’s packaged with sum and estimable of unresolved on your wall. Shelling out a ton of income for a X1D II won’t now make we a softened photographer, though it ought to inspire we to turn one.

Without a constructed studio lights and set design, a outside shoots became an practice in improvisation:  we wandered by a boroughs anticipating practicals (street lights, neon lights… a sun), finding locations, and switching spots when things didn’t vessel out.

We explored, we had purpose.

My takeaway from a dual weeks with this camera:  postponement and be suggestive in your actions.

Reviewed pack runs $10,595, pre-taxed:
Hasselblad X1D II 50C Mirrorless Camera – $5,750
Hasselblad 80mm F/1.9 XCD Lens – $4,845

About the Author